Qualifications Required for Registration of Veterinary Technicians in South Dakota
- Have successfully completed an approved high school course of study or its equivalency.
- Have submitted proof of good moral character by affidavits of at least two reputable persons (other than immediate family) attesting thereto.
- Have successfully completed a Veterinary Technician course of study in an accredited school approved by the Board.
- Application for registration on a form furnished by the Board; certificate signed by the director of the Veterinary Technician program in the accredited school verifying graduation; and a recent photo. The fee is $20.00 to be included with the completed application.
- Have taken the Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE) with a minimum score of 425 using the Criterion Based Scoring System. The VTNE score must be transferred to the South Dakota Veterinary Medical Examining Board from the AAVSB Veterinary Technician Information Vetrifying Agency, 380 W. 22nd St. Ste. 101, Kansas City, MO 64108; 1-877-698-8482; firstname.lastname@example.org; www.aavsb.org.
- All scheduling and fees for the VTNE must be arranged through the AAVSB by telephone: 1-877-698-8482; by email: email@example.com; or by website: www.aavsb.org.
- Have appeared before the Board for an oral interview (after completion of the VTNE).
- Request for registering a Veterinary Technician must be by a South Dakota Licensed Veterinarian. A registration application form is on the South Dakota Veterinary Medical Examining Board website: http://sdda.sd.gov/veterinary, or may be obtained from the South Dakota Veterinary Medical Examining Board by calling 1-605-773-3321. Send completed, signed and dated form with $20.00 registration fee to the South Dakota Veterinary Medical Examining Board at 411 S. Fort St., Pierre, SD 57501.
- When the VTNE has been successfully completed, scores transferred and application for registration has been received, contact the South Dakota Veterinary Medical Examining Board for an interview; 1-605-773-3321 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
20:57:03:08.01 Veterinary Technician renewal application form and requirements.
A Veterinary Technician renewal application must be on a form provided by the South Dakota Veterinary Medical Examing Board and provide proof of continuing education completed by the applicant. The applicant's continuing education must consist of a minimum of 12 credit hours in the 24 months before the submission on the renewal application. The continuing education may include South Dakota Veterinary Medical Association sponsored courses and other courses related to Veterinary Science and Technology, inculding clinical techniques, diagnostics, therapeutics, animal care and record keeping as approved by the Board.
SD Veterinary Technicial renewal forms must be submitted annually for registration of Veterinary Technicians.
SD Veterinary Practice Act
Veterinary Technicial National Exam (VTNE)
South Dakota Veterinary Medical Examining Board